In my opinion, what you bring in a carry-on is essential for every trip you take. Depending on how long you’ll be on the plane or where you’re going, the things you bring can make a huge difference to your time on your flight. Flying can sometimes be uncomfortable so having things that will make you feel more at ease, or just more comfortable, is a must for me. Flying to New York from Chicago is only about a 2 hour flight and there wasn’t much of a weather difference either so packing my carry-on wasn’t too difficult. Although I didn’t exactly use everything I brought with me, I felt good having them with me just in case.
New York Carry-On List:
- Large scarf/shawl. I’m someone who gets cold easily so bringing something like a large scarf or oversized sweater is a must for me. The one I brought with me I recently purchased at Electric Forest and it’s sooo pretty, light weight, and comfy. I wasn’t able to fit it in my small backpack but because it’s so light, I was able to tie it to one of the straps of my backpack and carry it around that way when I wasn’t using it.
- Water Bottle. A must for me, though it’s not exactly inside my carry-on.
- Sunglasses. These are always a must, especially when I know it will be sunny out!
- Advil. Headaches and cramps suck. Save yourself the pain and take some Advil with you just in case.
- BreathSavers. I actually received these in a little gift bag at my friend’s bachelorette party. Nobody likes to have coffee breath.
- Chapstick. I can’t go anywhere without it.
- Oil pastels. I’m an artist, I always need something with me.
- Pens. For using in my sketchbook or traveler’s notebook.
- Book. I also always take a book with me everywhere. I’m currently reading The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler.
- Sketchbook. To draw or write in.
- Traveler’s Notebook. I just like to have this on me to keep track of spending, itinerary, and other life things while I’m away.
- Headphones. I can’t not have these on me when I’m traveling, I’d probably cry.
- GoPro and Extra Batteries. Any cameras always come in my carry-on with me.
- Chargers. These always come in my carry-on as well, you never know when you’ll need them.
- Wallet/Cash. This is a given, you always need money and ids with you.
- Passport. Although I wasn’t traveling to another country, I brought mine with me just in case.
- Birth Control. I think any medication you need to be taking should always be on you and within reach.
- Kleenex. I like to have these because they’re versatile. You can use them for blowing your nose, cleaning up a small spill, or in case you’re in the bathroom and there’s not toilet paper. Hey, you never know.
- Jewelry. Again, I don’t bring a ton of jewelry with my on trips but what I do bring I like to have with me on my carry-on.
- Deodorant. I’m not sure why but I always feel like I smell after flying no matter how short the flight is. So this is also something I always bring with me.
Okay so this may seem like a long list BUT most of the things are small items and they all fit into my small backpack perfectly. I used a leather one that I bought in Florence this past March. It’s really cute and sturdy too! Again, the important thing is to take things with you that you know will make you feel more comfortable.
Live beautifully ❤